Thursday 17 April 2014

Chapter Five.....Scene Two & Three


Raven took out a jug of animal blood from the refrigerator and poured herself a tall glass. Her mind was still reeling from the events of last night. A werewolf was living here on the north side of town, just a few blocks from where she stood! Why would she do that? Why come and set up house among the enemy? Maybe they had run out of houses to let over there. No, that couldn’t possibly be the case.

Her mind struggling to find an answer, Raven turned to thoughts of Eric. Last night had been fun. She had successfully fought off her cravings and safely delivered Eric into his bed. Somehow, being in his bedroom and finding that picture of her on his computer had made her feel a bit closer to him. But what was she supposed to make of this new information? That werewolf last night had referred to Eric as her son. Did that mean he was one of them too? It seemed logical but highly unlikely. She would have been able to sense him so unless he was some kind of repellant for her vampire abilities then Eric was certainly not a werewolf. What was he then?

“You’re looking very thoughtful today,” Alistair said peeking at his daughter above the newspaper he was reading. “Is there something on your mind?”

Raven shook her head. “It’s nothing, just some essay I gotta write for history class.” She sat down at the table beside him. “Dad can I ask you a question?”

“Sure, go ahead.”

“I know that the vampire town council told otherwise but is it possible that some of the humans know about the supernatural population in this town?”

“I don’t think so,” Alistair answered. “I mean at least they didn’t last time I checked. Why? Did someone say something to you?”

“You can relax Dad, nobody said anything to me. I just find it hard to believe that we live right under their noses and they never notice anything.”

“That’s the beauty of the Masquerade sweetheart; to help us live with the humans without fear of discovery.”

“It seems to be working wonders so far,” Raven said. “I gotta head off to school, I dare not be late. My first period teacher is really a slave driver. Hey isn’t it time Mom’s night shift ended?”

“She should be here any minute. I’ll tell her you missed her like crazy because you only had your old man to talk to the entire night.”

Raven pulled a face, blew him a kiss and walked out the door.

 

Jade wasn’t so sure if she was eager or anxious to be at school that morning. On the one hand, she would obviously get to see Tristan again. She hadn’t actually planned on being nothing more than friends with him but the intimate kiss they’d shared last night had convinced her otherwise. On the other hand, there was the issue of Bryce to deal with and Jade knew he wouldn’t take what she had to say lying down. He had always been very insecure in their relationship and would be jealous of anybody who so much as looked her way. It wouldn’t be easy but she knew it had to be done.

Jade guessed she was eager as her face broke into a big smile upon seeing Tristan struggling to shove some books into his locker. “Hey handsome,” she greeted him shyly.

“Hey there yourself beautiful,” Tristan replied. He looked around the hall before planting a quick kiss on her lips. “I’ve been dying to do that since this morning,” he said.

Jade couldn’t believe she was blushing. Why did this guy always make her feel like she was ten years old and experiencing her first boy crush? “What’s with all these books you have in here?” She asked him trying to divert attention from her reddened cheeks.

“I’ve got this stupid history essay I’ve got to write and I’m stacking up all the good books from the library right in here,” Tristan answered.

“Mr. Woods is really killing you guys isn’t he? I had him last year and I can tell you with a certain amount of confidence that that is only the beginning.”

“Thanks for the heads-up,” Tristan said closing his locker. “Listen, I don’t want to jump to conclusions but I assume at some point in time that you will tell Bryce about us? I mean I’ve been known to take a couple of punches but that dude right there has quite a right hook on him. It’s not my greatest wish to run into him anytime soon.”

Jade sighed deeply before saying, “I’ll talk to him after school today. It would be better to tell him in a place where there’s no danger of vandalism.”

Tristan laughed, throwing an arm over her shoulders as they walked to their classes.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment