Sunday 20 April 2014

Chapter Six.....Scene One


Eric was on the basketball court in gym that morning. He and Tristan hadn’t decided which team they would join yet. They usually played football but basketball was one of their favorite sports too. Receiving the ball from his team mate, Eric dribbled around a few of the opposing defenders before jumping with an extra flair and shooting the ball at the hoop. It went in with a swoosh and his team mates yelled and lauded his basket. Eric modestly accepted their praise, already running back to cover his man.

The game was played at a high tempo neither team wanting to lose despite it only being training. In the end, Eric’s team lost but only by the narrowest of margins. One of them commented that if there had been two Erics on their team, the game would have been won easily. Everybody laughed but heartily agreed to the nonchalant statement. The teams hit the showers, rowdily talking about their chances in the school championships and anything else to do with basketball.

Eric was one of the last ones to come out, his dark crop of hair still wet from the shower and sticking up in all directions. He looked devilishly handsome, a fact presented by the constant female heads he was turning in a cheerleading squad doing their own version of ‘bring it on’ as he walked across the football grounds. He stopped in his tracks when he heard his name being called and looked back to see one of the female cheerleaders waving him down.

“Slow down Eric Xavier,” Ramona panted when she caught up with him. “Where are you off to in such a rush?”

Eric feigned a look of confusion. “I’m sorry do I know you?” He asked.

“If you tell me you don’t remember me Eric Xavier I swear I’ll kick your ass,” Ramona said.

Eric failed to keep up his façade and burst into laughter. “I’m just kidding, of course I remember you.” He said looking her up and down. “So this is what you do in your spare time. Cute outfit by the way.”

“Thanks,” Ramona said. “Nice to see you made it home safely. I guess Raven managed to keep her fangs to herself then.”

“Yes she did,” Eric replied missing the vampire pun. “I’m surprised she actually went through with it. I expected her to ditch me half way to my house. We haven’t really started out on a good note.”

“I expect you’ll be seeing a whole lot more of her,” Ramona said slyly.

“Why would you say that?”

“Raven seems to have appointed herself as your new body guard,” Ramona said.

Eric chuckled as he said, “Why exactly would I need a body guard, much less a girl?”

“She’s scared I might sink my fangs in you,” Ramona giggled enjoying the little game she was playing with him.

Eric had been attracted to Ramona the first time he’d seen her in class, much like Raven. They were both shockingly beautiful but while Raven was female in all aspects Ramona had a tom – boyish nature to her that appealed to Eric which was why he had been surprised to see she was a cheerleader. “What if I want you to sink your fangs in me?” He asked closing the distance between them.

“I don’t think your body guard would like that,” Ramona whispered. “I can already see she’s pissed even from here.”

Eric looked in her direction and saw Raven walking quickly towards them. His heart fluttered a little as he took her in. She was wearing dark navy blue jeans and black gothic T-shirt. Her sleek dark hair was pulled back into a ponytail to reveal her face and Eric was amazed again at her hypnotic beauty. He wanted to take his camera out and snap one of her right there and then but his hands were frozen at his sides. He uttered a silent prayer of thanks to which ever angels had brought these two gorgeous beauties before him.

Raven hid her anger and applied a plastic smile to her face as she came upon the duo. “I hope you two are not planning another raid on The Arena tonight,” she said, “because if you are, I don’t think I can be the designated driver again.”

“There’s no chance of that happening twice seeing as you weren’t even chosen the first time,” Ramona said swinging a casual but possessive arm around Eric. “Besides, there won’t be any need for driving where we’re going tonight.”

“Who’s we? Eric asked wanting her to state the obvious.

“You and I of course,” Ramona said. “But you’ll have to ask your body guard first,” she continued, turning to Raven.

Raven ignored her comment and asked, “Where are we going?”

“I told you,” Ramona whispered into Eric’s ear.

“Cut it out,” Eric scolded her. “Raven was just helping me get home last night and quite frankly I don’t trust you to be alone with me seeing as you’re the one to blame for most of last night.”

“Eric Xavier,” Ramona drawled, “surely you’re not accusing a simple girl of getting you drunk are you?”

“Where are we going?” Eric changed the subject, still annoyed that they’d been able to hold their liquor far better than him.

“I heard there’s gonna be a little party down by the lake. It’s supposed to be some sort of gig for Richard. His birthday is tomorrow but I guess he’s starting the celebration a little early.”

“Isn’t that an odd place to throw a party, especially at night?” Raven asked.

“Are you scared?” Eric teased. “Do you think she’ll make her long awaited appearance tonight?”

“It’s not Melissa’s Curse that I’m afraid of and I’m not even afraid,” Raven said. “At least not for me,” she added noting that Ramona’s arm still hung possessively around Eric.

“So then just who are you afraid for?” Ramona asked, a sly grin tugging at the corners of her mouth.

Eric suddenly looked interested in hearing her answer and Raven shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. “Look I just don’t think it’s safe to be walking out in the woods at night. There are many things that could happen out there.”

“You’re right Raven. There are plenty of rabbits out there just waiting to have a go at us soon as we enter those woods,” Eric said not even trying to hide the sarcasm in his voice.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about Eric,” Raven said even as Ramona burst into a giggle fit. “Trust me you don’t wanna go out there, especially with a full moon tonight.”

“What does the moon being full have to do with anything? Eric asked. “I don’t remember anything about a full moon in Melissa’s Curse.”

“Forget the damn curse,” Ramona snapped. “Raven here just gets a little riled up by the moon don’t you darling?” She glared at Raven, irritation written all over her face at the young vampire’s careless ways of talking around Eric.

“That’s right,” Raven agreed. “We just don’t get on well together.”

“Well the moon was created long before you were born so let’s give the benefit of the doubt shall we?” Eric said, finally pulling out of Ramona’s embrace, much to Raven’s delight. “What time’s the party?”

“It’s just a little after seven,” Ramona answered. “You need a ride?”

“I can pick him up,” Raven offered. “I’m much closer to his house.”

“No you’re not,” Ramona protested.

“Uh yes I am,” Raven insisted.

Eric held his arms hands up to stop the bickering. “Okay first of all, you people have gotta realize that I’m not an invalid. Second of all, I’ve got my own ride so I can actually pick you up. The only question is, who’s it gonna be?”

“Like I said, I’m much closer,” Raven replied before Ramona could say anything.

“Then I will see you at seven,” Eric said. “Right now, I got a class to get to so if you ladies will excuse me, I’ll just be heading off.”

Both girls watched him go, one trying to sort out her exact feelings for him and the other thinking just how good his blood would taste.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment