Tuesday 15 April 2014

Chapter Four......Scene One & Two


The Arena was now filled to capacity with its sports enthusiasts having finally left their offices for the day and come around for a quick game and maybe a cold one or two. There was hardly an empty seat left and some people were even standing, content to let their legs hurt as long as they got to watch their idols playing.

Eric, Raven and Ramona were sitting at one of the tables farthest from the bar, near the slot machines in the back. If Eric was surprised to see Raven he didn’t show it. He chatted just as amicably with her as he did with Ramona. The last conversation they’d had together seemingly forgotten. The trio had been throwing back beers all afternoon and were in high spirits but so far, it seemed only Eric was drunk. He hadn’t planned on drinking much but the beers had just kept on coming and it seemed wrong to see them all go to waste. His compatriots on the other hand seemed as alert as ever. He excused himself to take a piss.

As soon as he was gone, Raven rounded on Ramona. “I don’t think this is such a good idea after all,” she said.

“What are you talking about?” Ramona asked. “I already said we’re not gonna kill him.”

“I don’t think we should do anything period,” Raven said. “He hasn’t done anything wrong.”

“Honey if we only fed on those who’d done something wrong then I certainly wouldn’t be here because nothing even remotely close to that ever happens in this town. They’re all a bunch of warm loving muffin makers.” Ramona looked at her quizzically. “What’s your deal with all this anyway, is he some sort of boyfriend of yours or something?”

Raven’s cheeks burned red at the unexpected question. “Of course not,” she blurted. “He’s just a good friend.” Ramona cocked her head at her. “Okay maybe not good or friend exactly but he’s someone I know nonetheless and I don’t think I’ve reached the stage where I can feed on someone I’ve surprisingly had a good time with without having a guilty conscience.”

“Oh man, your parents really messed you up more than I thought. You’re in love with this guy aren’t you?”

“You can think what you want Ramona but I’m telling you now, we’re not gonna do anything to him. This was all just a stupid mistake.”

“Suit yourself,” Ramona shrugged. “That’s just more for me.”

“Which part of we did you not understand, the w or the e?”

“Both. I did not come here to just play pool and have a couple of beers and a few laughs. I came here because the sweet scent of your boyfriend’s blood has been on my mind since yesterday and I know you’re just as affected by it. You just won’t admit it to yourself. Well I don’t play like that lady. I am getting what I came for tonight.”

“It’s not his fault that his blood smells so good. That shouldn’t be a reason to put him in danger because you know as much as I do that once you get even a little taste, you won’t be able to stop yourself, especially given the fact that you’ve been craving so much for it.”

“I’m not a newborn sweetheart,” Ramona said. “I can control my hunger. You’re preaching to the wrong vampire.”

“No you can’t and I’m not gonna give you a chance to find out. As soon as Eric comes back, I’m taking him home.”

Ramona let out a sarcastic laugh. “Well take a look at the little newborn fighting for her handsome knight in shining armor. You would dare go against your kindred over some halfwit human?”

“I’ve read enough of the traditions to know they don’t condone feeding off of the humans just to satisfy one’s own personal pleasure at the peril of others.”

Ramona smiled as Eric made his way back to their table. “Fine, you win,” she said. “But just remember that this town goes beyond these walls and I’m certainly going nowhere.”

Raven opened her mouth for a sharp retort but Eric sat down and she had to bite her tongue for the moment. She managed to give Ramona an icy glare and got a mischievous smirk in return.

Eric was a bit disoriented and didn’t notice the tension that previously hadn’t been there. He took another large swig of his beer and set it down with aplomb. “Oh that hits the spot right there,” he said. His phone buzzed and he picked it up, reading the two words written in capital letters; HOME NOW! He groaned, knowing he wasn’t nearly as sober as he would have liked to go home. One week in town and he’d already been in a fist fight and drunken himself into a stupor. His stay in Sereneville certainly hadn’t started according to plan. “Ladies,” he said, his mouth struggling to form the words. “I know….I know….it’s not very gentlemanly of me to leave you hanging like this but I’m afraid….I’m afraid I have to be going now but it was a fantastic evening.” He got up, swaying just a little.

“Easy there big fella,” Ramona said, taking him by the hand. “Let’s get you safely home.”

Raven saw her intentions and immediately grabbed Eric to her side. “I’ll take him home,” she said protectively.

“Nobody’s taking me home,” Eric announced, annoyed that they thought he needed a chaperone. “Me, myself and I are taking me home. The three of us are gonna take each other home.” He swayed again as he attempted to lead his trio of personas out of the club.

“You’re not going anywhere alone like that Eric,” Raven said. “You can hardly walk straight.” She took his arm amid his wild protests and guided him among the throngs of people, looking back to check if Ramona was following them but she had already disappeared.

***

“That casserole was delicious Mrs. Taylor,” Tristan said as he prepared to leave, “and that trifle was absolutely divine.”

“Oh you’re so sweet,” Amanda said. “If only some people around here appreciated good food as much as you do.”

“I heard that,” Adam shouted from the kitchen.

Amanda laughed. “Come by any time Tristan, and I’ll be glad to whip you up another one of those trifles.”

“Thank you Mrs. Taylor, it would be my pleasure.”

“Enough with Mrs. Taylor already, I’m not a grandma yet. You can call me Amanda. Now run along and don’t forget to tell your mother I’ll be calling on her soon. Perhaps she would be interested in being a guest in one of my classes.”

“I’m sure she would be pleased,” Tristan replied. They said their goodbyes, Amanda shouting for Jade not to stay out too long.

It was a starry night in Sereneville and there was a cool breeze in the air. Tristan linked his arm with Jade’s as they walked west on Callopis Drive. They talked about a variety of things, conversation never a problem for them. Turning north into Haven Road, Jade suddenly pulled up. Her keen ears had picked up the faintest of sounds coming from the dark woods looming beside them. She felt as if someone, or something, was watching them.

“What’s wrong?” Tristan asked.

Jade continued to stare at the woods, and then pulled her attention back to the present. “Nothing,” she said with a plastic smile. “I just don’t like being this close to the woods.”

“Well then my advice is that you don’t stand in the middle of the road and stare at them. Come on, let’s get you safely away from your fear factor.” He took possession of her hand again and she gladly let him, reveling in his warmth.
 
As they walked on past the hospital, a pair of bright yellow eyes followed them, a deep low growl emanating from their owner.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment