Tuesday 22 April 2014

Chapter Seven....Scene One


“You should have seen him Tristan,” Jade was saying, “He was absolutely furious when he left.” They were at The Arena, sitting in the grill area and Jade had just finished telling Tristan about her break up with Bryce. “I’m really scared he’s gonna try and do something stupid.”

“You mean like try and come after me again?” Tristan said. “There’s no chance of him dropping the wool over my eyes twice I can assure you.”

Jade shook her head. “It’s not only that I’m worried about. Bryce can be very impulsive at times and that’s when he’s at his most dangerous.”

“Relax,” Tristan said. “You’re making it sound like he’s gonna kill the entire town.”

He just might do that, Jade thought to herself. She smiled and took his advice, relaxing visibly. “You’re right. I shouldn’t let him get to me like that. From now on, my mind is gonna be Bryce free.”

“Atta girl,” Tristan said clinking beers with her. He took a long pull and set it down with a flourish.

“Where’s Eric?” Jade suddenly asked. “I don’t think I’ve seen him around all day.”

“Oh he’s down by the lake. I heard there’s supposed to be some kind of wild party out there tonight. We can pop by if you want, I was sort of invited.”

“Who’s the party for?”

“Some guy called Richard or something. I think he’s actually in your class.”

“Yes I know him,” Jade nodded. “I don’t really think it’s my scene though,” she added. She didn’t mention she didn’t want to go because she’d stick out like a rose among thorns. The place would probably be crawling with vampires though she was sure they wouldn’t try anything with that many humans around. Unless of course they lured one or two into the woods then they could pretty much do what they wanted to them, short of killing them. “Did Eric go alone?” she asked as an afterthought.

“He went with that Raven chick, I’m sure you know her.”

“She’s new here too isn’t she?” Jade asked. Vampires were rapidly increasing in Sereneville every day and the future certainly did not look good for the town. She questioned just who this Raven was. Some vampires had come to terms with the treaty and never fed on the human residents but there were a few stubborn ones who did and Jade wondered if Eric was in danger.

“Yes she is. Eric told me she arrived just a few days after us.” Tristan said.

“Well I gotta say he sure didn’t waste any time in snatching her.” She said.

“Yeah that’s Eric for you though. He’s gotta be the first out of the blocks which is why I had to be pretty quick when I spotted you.” He winked at her and Jade let out a childish little giggle as she sought to hide her blushes. “I’m sure that even he’s got his hands full this time around, especially with that Ramona chick who’s always looking like she wants to ravage him or something.”

Jade’s sweet smile immediately froze on her face. Ramona was one of those Jade suspected still fed on the humans. If she and this Raven were with Eric, then he was certainly in danger and from the looks of things he was already enamored by them both. That was a vampire’s secret weapon; their inexplicable beauty.

“Are you okay?” Tristan asked extracting Jade from her thoughts.

“Yeah I’m fine,” she answered, taking a quick swig of her beer to cool her suddenly parched throat.

Tristan leaned back in his seat, a suspicious look on his face. “Your face froze when I mentioned Ramona,” he pointed out.

Jade’s answer was a subtle shrug of her shoulders. “I’m just surprised that he would go for a girl like Ramona, she’s rumored to be a real bitch.”

“That hasn’t stopped Eric in the past and I don’t think it will stop him now.” Tristan said, rubbing his hands in anticipation as their orders were finally set before them. He eagerly dug in, taking a huge bite of the burger on his plate.

Jade though had suddenly lost her appetite. Caught in two minds, she had no idea what to do. Should she go and try helping Eric or should she stay and hope for the best? Going there could mean risk of exposure but could she really live with herself if something happened to Tristan’s brother knowing she could have prevented it?

“Would you like me to taste if it’s poisonous first?” Tristan joked.

Jade shook her head. “Sorry, I’m just miles away here.”

“What are you thinking about?” he asked.

In that instant, Jade made up her mind. “Let’s go to the party,” she said, already starting to get up.

“You mean now?” Tristan asked a little disappointed to be cutting his meal short. He hadn’t even started on the fries yet.

“Yes now Tristan,” she said indicating for him to get up. “You can have a burger and fries any day you want.”

Tristan was still grumbling as she pulled him along behind her, managing to at least whisk a few fries off his plate.


No comments:

Post a Comment