Tuesday 22 April 2014

Chapter Six...Scene Two & Three


Jade had felt like school today had taken longer than usual or maybe she was just anxious about talking to Bryce. Making her way across to the park where she and Bryce had agreed to meet, Jade played all the different scenarios of what could happen through her mind. Bryce was very unpredictable at times and the chances of him accepting their break up could go either way. Coming up to the park, she was surprised to find Bryce already sitting on one of the benches waiting for her; she guessed he must have finished football practice early.

Bryce waved when he saw her, just as anxious to talk to her as she was to him. He’d never been one for too many words in their relationship as he figured Jade would never leave him. Who could dare refuse the powerful and handsome Bryce, an alpha male in his own right never mind the fact that his father currently occupied that position? There was no one capable of filling his boots and Bryce wouldn’t have let them anyway. He was very aggressive when it came to protecting what he viewed as his own and he very much felt Jade was his own.

But now, some fresh punk was trying to move in on his territory and Bryce did not like what he saw, especially last night when he’d seen Tristan leaving Jade’s house. He wished his father hadn’t interrupted them at The Arena, otherwise he would have taught Tristan a thing or two about keeping a low profile when you’re new in town. What did she see in that guy anyway?

“How long have you been waiting?” Jade asked coming up to sit down beside him.

“Just a couple of minutes,” Bryce answered. “I asked the coach if I could leave early.”

“Well I’m really glad you agreed to meet me because there’s something really important I have to say to you,” Jade said.

“Before you say anything I’d like to apologize for being such a jerk yesterday,” Bryce said. “I let my anger get the best of me and I’m really sorry if I hurt you or your friend. I just want us to be together without any interference from anyone.” He squeezed her hand a little, looking directly in her big brown eyes.

Jade felt a lump in her throat and cursed his bad timing. Why did he have to be so sincere today of all days? She uncomfortably brushed a stray strand of hair from her face as she said, “Thank you for the apology, it really means a lot to me.”

“You’re welcome and from now on I promise I’ll keep myself in check, no more outbursts. In fact just to prove I’m a changed man, I’ll apologize to Tristan. I’m sure he understands what it’s like to have the most beautiful girl in town as your girlfriend for whom everyone is clamoring for.”

“Bryce you’re not making this any easier,” Jade said.

“What are you talking about?” he asked.

Taking a deep breath, she said, “You know what I’m talking about. I’m talking about this, us, the whole thing. It’s not working anymore.”

Bryce had figured those words might be on her lips but he’d hoped a quick sincere apology might at least delay matters until he could find a way to get Tristan out of the picture. “Don’t say that,” he said, shaking his head.

“I’m sorry but I have to. We’re two different people Bryce and I just don’t think we’ll ever be compatible.” She said.

Despite the situation, Bryce actually found himself laughing. “We’re two different people? We’ve been together almost two years. At what point during that time did you decide we’re different?”

“Don’t sit there and pretend you never saw this coming. You’ve always treated me like shit ever since we got together. You’re arrogant, mean and always fly into a jealous rage whenever I talk to a guy outside your “circle of friends.” Can’t you see that you’re suffocating me?”

He vigorously shook his head, wagging a thick finger at her. “Don’t try and pin this on me because it’s not about me is it? It’s about you trying to find an excuse that will give you a clear conscience so you can run off to Tristan.”

“That’s not fair and you know it!” Jade raised her voice a little.

“Oh do I really?” he spat. “Tell me, how long have you been seeing each other behind my back and don’t even try to lie to me because I saw you kissing him last night.”

“So you’re spying on me now, what is the matter with you?” She demanded.

“Don’t try and change the subject here,” he said, his anger starting to bubble up to the surface. “We’re talking about you and the fact that you can’t keep your hands off the first fresh-faced punk who rolls into town!”

Jade let his statement hang in the air for a minute before she brought her hand up and slapped him hard across the face. The blow turned his head sideways and when he looked back at her, his stone gray eyes were now a distinct bright yellow colour. He was breathing heavily and his hands were clenched into fists as he fought to regain control of his emotions before they ran wild. They stared at each other for a minute before Bryce got up and stormed away.

 

It was late afternoon when Athena and Amanda got back home from the university. Amanda was quite pleased with herself having thought Athena’s mini lecture had gone very well. She hadn’t been surprised to find out she connected very well with the woman, after all it was in her nature. Turning into her driveway, her smile faded a little as she remembered their talk this morning. It was time to face the music.

“I really had a lovely time Amanda,” Athena said getting out of the car. “Thank you for inviting me.”

“Oh I’m the one who should be thanking you. Perhaps now somebody will finally be able to pass that class,” Amanda laughed. “Are you sure you won’t stay for dinner though? My husband will be home soon and I thought we could all get to know each other a little better.”

Athena sucked in her breath as she said, “Once again thank you but I’m afraid I’m gonna have to pass. I’ve got two rowdy boys waiting for me at home and if I so much as leave them alone for five minutes in the kitchen they’re likely to burn the whole house down.”

Amanda let out a low chuckle. “What would men do without us?”

“Tell me about it,” Athena said getting into her car.

“I really appreciate you taking time out of your schedule today and don’t worry about Tristan. I’ll talk to Jade tonight.”

“Thank you Amanda. That would mean a lot to me.” Athena backed out to the road, blew the horn once and drove off. With her first mission accomplished, it was now time for the second mission; Tabitha Savage. She wrinkled her nose as she passed the cinema, detecting about two or three vampires among the small crowd of people gathered outside it. It amazed her a little that these monsters lived freely among the humans and not one blood sucking incident had occurred. Not one they were aware of anyway.

Athena turned right on Sereneville St. and then left on Haven Rd. The dark woodlands loomed up on her right as she slowed the car down trying to read the numbers of the various houses until she found the one she was looking for, noting there was only one car in the driveway. She parked her car out on the side of the street and walked casually to the door hoping this was Tabitha’s car. She took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell, her nostrils already filling with the stench of vampires.

Tabitha couldn’t have been more shocked had she tried when she saw Athena standing there. What the hell was this werewolf thinking coming to her house? Was she out of her mind? “What are you doing here?” she demanded.

“I’m here to talk about your daughter’s relationship with my son,” Athena answered calmly.

“What about it?” Tabitha asked.

“I want it to stop. It’s not healthy for Eric to be hanging out with the likes of your kind so I’d really appreciate it if you could just tell your daughter to back off.”

“How do we know it’s not Eric we should be telling to back off?” She sneered.

“I’ll handle Eric in my own way,” Athena continued in her calm voice. “You just make sure you tell Raven to stay away from him because the next time I see her anywhere near him, I’ll rip her little head off.”

“How dare you threaten my family,” Tabitha said stepping out onto the verandah, “especially on a moonless night like this.”

“Your daughter made that same mistake last night, thinking I can only turn under a full moon but you would be wise to keep your claws to yourself.” Athena said.

“I’m not scared of you or your pack of dogs and I’m warning you if you so much as lay a finger on my daughter I will hunt down and kill everyone you’ve ever loved.”

“Oh I know how powerful you are Tabitha but I’ve toiled with your kind many times over. A little advice; don’t be so cocky, it tends to cloud your judgment.” Athena decided her nose had had enough. “Now then,” she began, “if there are no more pathetic threats I guess I’ll be getting back home.” She walked down the steps and was about halfway to her car when Tabitha called out.

“Do you know where Raven is tonight?” She said.

Athena turned around slowly. “Why would I care about that?” she asked.

Tabitha smiled without mirth, arms folded across the chest. “Well you shouldn’t really but it’s just that a little bird told me Raven’s with Eric at a party down by the lake. You better hurry; your boy could be providing dinner by now.”
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment